NewNow you can listen to Fox News articles!
Despite engaging in talks with the Trump administration, Iran is rebuilding nuclear sites damaged in previous US attacks and is “preparing for war”, according to a prominent Iranian opposition figure.
Alireza Jafarzadeh, deputy director of the Washington office of the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI), said the newly released satellite images also prove that the regime has stepped up its efforts to restore its “$2 trillion” uranium enrichment capabilities.
“The regime has clearly increased efforts to rebuild its uranium enrichment capabilities,” Jafarzadeh told Fox News Digital. “It is preparing itself for possible war by trying to preserve its nuclear weapons program and ensure its security.”
Iran says we ‘must prove they want to make a deal’ at Geneva nuclear talks
Reconstruction activity appears to be underway at Iran’s Isfahan nuclear complex. (Planet Labs PBC/Handout via Reuters)
“That said, the ongoing rebuilding of Iran’s uranium enrichment capabilities is particularly worrisome given that the regime is now engaged in nuclear negotiations with the United States,” he said.
New satellite images released by Earth intelligence monitor Planet Labs show reconstruction activity underway at the Isfahan complex.
Isfahan is one of three Iranian uranium enrichment plants targeted in the US military operation known as “Midnight Hammer”.
The 22 June operation included coordinated air force and navy attacks on Fordow, Natanz and Isfahan facilities.
US deploys aircraft carriers and strike platforms across Middle East as Iran talks turn to Oman
A satellite image shows mud-covered tunnel entrances at the Isfahan nuclear complex. (Vantor/Handout via Reuters)
Despite the damage, satellite images show Iran has buried entrances to a tunnel complex at the site, according to Reuters.
Similar steps were reportedly taken at the Natanz facility, which has two additional enrichment plants.
“These efforts in Isfahan include the reconstruction of its centrifuge program and other activities related to uranium enrichment,” Jafarzadeh said.
The renewed stir came as Iran took part in talks with the US in Geneva.
On Thursday, President Donald Trump warned that “bad things” would happen if Iran did not reach a deal.
While the aim of the talks was to curb Iran’s nuclear program in exchange for sanctions relief, Jafarzadeh argues that for the regime, the talks would be nothing more than a tactical delay.
Trump says Iran already has US military strike clock ticking words
According to Jafarzadeh, Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei “agreed to nuclear talks because it would give the regime significant time to avoid or limit the consequences of a confrontation with the West.” (Office of the Supreme Leader of Iran via Getty Images)
“Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei agreed to nuclear talks because it would give the regime significant time to avoid or limit the consequences of a confrontation with the West,” he said.
Jafarzadeh also described at least “$2 trillion” of spending by the regime on nuclear capabilities, which he said “is more than the entire oil revenue generated since the regime came to power in Iran in 1979.”
“Tehran is trying to salvage whatever is left of its nuclear weapons program and rebuild it quickly,” he said. “It has invested heavily in the nuclear weapons program as a vital tool for the survival of the regime.”
Iranian official says nuclear talks to continue after ‘good start’ to US, Tehran talks in Oman
Satellite imagery taken on January 30, 2026 shows a new roof over a previously destroyed building at the Natanz nuclear site. (2026 Planet Labs handout via PBC/Reuters)
Jafarzadeh is best known for publicly disclosing the existence of Iran’s Natanz nuclear site in 2002, which led to inspections by the International Atomic Energy Agency and intensified global scrutiny of Tehran’s nuclear ambitions.
“The Iranian regime’s insistence during nuclear talks on maintaining its uranium enrichment capabilities and rebuilding its damaged sites is a clear indication that Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei has no plans to abandon its nuclear weapons program,” he said.
Click here to download Fox News App
The National Council of Resistance of Iran, led by Maryam Rajavi, first revealed nuclear sites in Natanz, Arak, Fordow and more than 100 other sites and projects, Jafarzadeh said, “despite a massive crackdown by the regime on this movement.”