Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor – formerly Prince Andrew, Duke of York – was arrested on Thursday morning on suspicion of misconduct in public office. On his 66th birthday he was captured and placed in police custody.
The BBC says it is the first time that the second son of the late Queen Elizabeth II has been arrested, facing multiple charges over his relationship with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Andrew has consistently and vehemently denied any wrongdoing.
Police did not name Mountbatten-Windsor directly, as is normal under UK law. But when asked if he had been arrested, the force pointed to a statement (see below) which said they had arrested a man in his 60s.
Mountbatten-Windsor is 66 years old and today is his birthday.
He was caught after a raid at his new Sandringham home.
A man gets out of an unmarked car at the home of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor in Sandringham, Norfolk, on February 19, 2026. The second son of the late Queen Elizabeth II has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office, following the police investigation into the recently released Epstein files. The former prince has denied any wrongdoing. (Peter Nicholls/Getty Images)
The BBC report details the allegations made in a statement from Thames Valley Police, which says:
“As part of the investigation, we have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixty years from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are conducting searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk.
“The man is currently in police custody.
“In line with national guidance, we will not be revealing the name of the person arrested. Please also remember that this case is now active so caution should be exercised in any publications to avoid contempt of court.”
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now launched an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.
“It is important that we protect the integrity and impartiality of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged crime.
“We understand the significant public interest in this matter, and we will provide an update at an appropriate time.”
The BBC further reported that the arrest came after unmarked police cars were spotted on Wednesday morning in Sandringham, Norfolk, where he has been living since leaving his home in Windsor.
Andrew stepped back from royal duties in 2019 following allegations by Virginia Giuffre that he was trafficked to have sex with her three times, including twice when she was 17 years old.
FILE/EX Prince Andrew, Duke of York warmly welcomes a business leader during a reception on the sidelines of the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland on January 22, 2015. (Michelle Euler-WPA Pool/Getty Images)
Giuffre described the claims in shocking detail in a posthumous memoir after King Charles III stripped her brother of his royal titles and honors late last year.
The king already made his move to oust Andrew from the royal family, even though nothing had been proven in court then or now.
Update: Buckingham Palace has released a statement regarding the arrest:
more to come…