NewNow you can listen to Fox News articles!
A report says that possible US military attacks on Iran could target specific individuals and even lead to regime change.
two American officers who speak to reuters The report, which spoke on condition of anonymity, said these options have come up in the planning stage should President Donald Trump order it. He did not specify which individuals could be targeted, but said Trump in particular could be targeted in 2020. US military strike ordered Which killed Iranian General Qasim Suleimani, the head of the elite Quds Force of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.
Fox News Digital has contacted the White House and the War Department for comment.
Asked by a reporter at the White House, Trump had already said Friday that he was “considering” a limited military strike on Iran to pressure its leaders into a deal on its nuclear program.
Built for weeks of war: Inside the firepower America has deployed in the Middle East
President Donald Trump speaks during a press briefing at the White House in Washington on Friday, Feb. 20, 2026. Trump said Friday he was “considering” a limited military strike on Iran. (Allison Robert/AP)
Last week, when asked if he wanted regime change in Iran, the president said, “It seems like that would be the best thing that could happen.”
Trump suggested on Thursday that the chances of success in talks with Iran were diminishing, indicating that Tehran had “10, 15 days, about a maximum” to reach an agreement.
“Either we’re going to make a deal, or it’s going to be unfortunate for them,” he said.
Trump gives Iran 10-day ultimatum, but experts hint talks may buy time for strike
USS Gerald R. Ford is headed to the Middle East as the US increases its military presence there amid talks with Iran. (US Naval Forces Central Command/US 6th Fleet/Handout via Reuters)
A Middle Eastern source with knowledge of the talks told Fox News Digital this week that Tehran understands how close the threat of war is and is unlikely to deliberately provoke Trump at this stage.
However, the source said Iran cannot accept limitations on its short-range missile program, describing the issue as a firm red line set by Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.
Iranian negotiators are not authorized to cross that limit, and agreeing to the missiles would be considered tantamount to losing the war internally.
In 2020, the Pentagon said President Donald Trump ordered the US military strike that killed Iranian General Qassem Soleimani in Iraq. (Getty Images)
Click here to download Fox News App
The source indicated that there could be more flexibility regarding uranium enrichment parameters if sanctions relief is part of the equation.
Fox News’s Emma Bassey and Efrat Lacher contributed to this report.