NewNow you can listen to Fox News articles!
The man accused of carrying out the Hanukkah terror attack in Sydney, Australia, was seen in public for the first time on Monday, appearing via video link from Goulburn Supermax Prison during a hearing at Downing Center Local Court.
7NewsAustralia reported Naved Akram, 24, spoke only briefly during the hearing, which lasted less than 10 minutes as a suppression order protecting the names of some victims was extended.
“Did you hear what just happened?” Deputy Chief Magistrate Sharon Freund asked. “Yes,” Akram replied.
“Your lawyer will call you, okay?” Freund said.
Families mourn loss of loved ones in Bondi Beach terror attack: ‘Words cannot describe the pain’
A court sketch shows accused Bondi shooter Naveed Akram appearing via video link from Goulburn Supermax Prison in Sydney’s Downing Center Local Court on Monday, February 16, 2026. (Rocco Fazzari/AAP Image via AP)
“Yes,” the shooting suspect replied.
According to the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions website, Akram has been charged with one count of committing a terrorist act, 15 counts of murder, 40 counts of attempted murder and additional firearms and explosives offences.
The most serious charges carry potential life imprisonment.
Israeli migration minister says Australia should have seen ‘writing on the wall’ before terrorist attack
Rabbi Eli Schlanger, 10-year-old Matilda and French citizen Dan Elkayem were the victims of the Bondi Beach attack. (Audrey Richardson/Getty Images/Facebook/Ellie Schlanger/GoFundMe/Project Volta)
According to 7NewsAustralia, Akram’s lawyer Ben Archbold told reporters it was too early to tell how his client would plead.
Archbold said, “There is a client that needs to be represented. And we don’t let our personal viewpoint get in the way of our professional application.”
His next court appearance is scheduled for April 8.
Police teams take security measures at Bondi Beach in Sydney, Australia, following a terrorist attack targeting the Jewish community during the first night of Hanukkah. (Claudio Galdames A/Anadolu via Getty Images)
Click here to download Fox News App
The 24-year-old man is accused of carrying out Australia’s deadliest terrorist attack, targeting the Jewish “Hanukkah by the Sea” celebration at Bondi Beach in December.
His 50-year-old father Sajid Akram was shot dead in an encounter with police at the scene.
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese described the Bondi attack as an “ISIS-inspired atrocity”, saying at a press conference at Parliament House in Canberra late last year that the government had been informed by the National Intelligence Office of ISIS online video feeds, strengthening that assessment.