WHO has issued a warning after the deadly Ebola outbreak
The CDC is coordinating the ‘safe return’ of at least six Americans exposed to the deadly Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo after WHO declared it a global health emergency.
NewNow you can listen to Fox News articles!
The head of the World Health Organization on Tuesday announced a meeting of his emergency committee regarding the “scale and pace” of the Ebola outbreak in Congo and Uganda.
More than 500 suspected cases and 33 confirmed cases have been reported in the Democratic Republic of Congo in recent weeks, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said, citing the figures. Two confirmed cases have been reported in Uganda. There have been a total of 131 deaths from this outbreak.
“I am deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the pandemic,” Tedros said in a statement Tuesday.
Tedros is meeting with WHO’s emergency committee later on Tuesday.
US issues urgent travel warning as deadly Ebola outbreak spreads overseas
World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus speaking during an event. (Lian Yi/Xinhua via Getty Images)
There are several factors that have made WHO concerned about the possibility of its further spread, such as cases in urban areas, including Kampala, Uganda and Goma in the DRC, as well as the conflict-affected province of Ituri.
WHO has approved $3.9 million in emergency funding to support national authorities responding to the outbreak.
The WHO declared the outbreak a public health emergency on Sunday and the US issued an urgent travel warning for the DRC soon after on Monday.
Uganda begins clinical trials of vaccine for Sudan strain of Ebola amid new outbreak
A health worker sprays disinfectant on his colleague after working at an Ebola treatment center in Beni, eastern Congo, on September 9, 2018. (Al-Hadji Qudra funeral/AP)
Officials said the outbreak was caused by the Bundibugyo strain of the Ebola virus, a rare type current vaccines May be less effective.
The State Department has warned that Ebola is a “rare, serious and often fatal hemorrhagic fever disease.”
virus Can spread through direct contact with infected persons, bodily fluids, infected dead bodies, and objects contaminated with the virus.
Cruise ship passenger describes uncertainty after 3 deaths amid hantavirus investigation
“The U.S. Government is unable to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in Ituri Province,” the advisory said. “Do not travel to this area for any reason.”
Pictured is the MV Hondius, the cruise ship linked to a hantavirus outbreak after a stop in Argentina that killed three passengers. (Europa Press Canarias via Getty Images)
The development comes as global health officials continue to monitor Rare hantavirus outbreak tied to on the MV Hondius cruise ship, causing several passengers and crew members to become ill and three people to die.
Click here to download Fox News App
As of May 13, WHO said that 11 hantavirus cases had been identified in connection with the Cruz outbreak, including eight confirmed cases, two probable cases, and one inconclusive case.
Andrea Margolis and Michael Sinkiewicz of Fox News and Reuters contributed to this report.